Monday 5 October 2020

GREECE AGAIN

 








On my post called GREECE, I had written:

"Spiros grew by leaps and bounds.  He suddenly started walking, he conversed in basic sentences and was a very sweet and handsome little fellow....I just adored him and I just couldn't imagine loving any other child more than him."

"On the 12th of October, our son Yiannis was born.  He was a lovely ash-blond baby and the moment I set eyes on him, I adored him, also, and realised that parental love is not shared among the children, it is doubled or tripled or quadrupled... It was a busy, exhausting but an extremely happy period of my life.


While I was at the maternity hospital, I had disturbing thoughts that Spiros could have forgotten me but to my great delight, when we returned home he joyfully rushed into my arms and then glimpsed at his baby brother.  I am ashamed to admit that for the first six weeks, we had two girls to help because coping with two babies was a full-time job.  


Aleco also worked very hard,  His main obligation being to try as hard as possible in negotiating transactions according to the interests of the companies he represented.  He also had to inform them of the market situation, the competition and all the significant circumstances concerning their interests.  He went to his office every morning, returned for a quick lunch break and drove back to Athens until 7-8 in the evening.  Then Greece had a seven-day working week, so he saw the children awake only on Sundays.  Nightmarish but true!


My Mother-in-law, my brothers and sisters-in-law and my aunt Caterina Vandoros were very helpful those very happy but exhausting days.


Aleco and I were very pleased to meet and spend time with our dear old friends from India and Pakistan, Susanne and Milto Zouros, Cleo and George Issigonis, and Aspa and George Magnis.  Later we met Eddie and Tasso Cotsis, Eva and Walter Backes and Mary and George Xenakis who, over the years, became dear, long-life friends.


As my parents were still on home leave, we decided to christen our son Yiannis in May 1959 so that they could attend the christening before leaving for Pakistan.   It was a lovely service at the church of the Transfiguration of the Saviour, at Kefalari, Kifissia and our dear friend Eftihia Mela was the godmother.  To celebrate the happy occasion we held a small dinner party for our family and friends.  


For my beloved family with nostalgia:






   

No comments:

Post a Comment