Monday 20 August 2012





          I had never baked bread in my whole life, until eight years ago, the reason being that I was terrified of yeast.   A living, capricious, untrustworthy ingredient that I didn’t even want to touch, let alone use in cooking.

          We have umpteen excellent small bakeries and chains, all over the country, that sell bread in all tastes and shapes, baked to perfection. " So why should I go into the trouble of making my own bread, when I could buy the best?" was my excuse.

           That was so, until eight years ago.   When, I suddenly realized, that my fear was highly exaggerated, to say the least, so I got down to work and baked  my first loaf of bread, on that very day.  How I loved the touch of soft dough under my palms, and how I enjoyed, kneading, pushing and folding it over and over again.  Then, following the recipe, I covered it snugly, like a baby, let it prove until it doubled in bulk and finally baked it, until it turned crisp and golden.  What a revelation, like magic! 

                           

                         BREAD WITH YOUGURT AND SESAME SEEDS


300 g (2 cups) strong, bread flour
150 g (1 cup) all purpose flour or wholemeal, if preferred
8-10 g dried yeast (1 packet dried yeast)
1 tsp sugar
2 heaped tbsp yogurt, mixed with
4 tbsp olive oil and
1 tsp salt

240 ml (1 cup) tepid water

A little orange juice or water to brush over the loaf
2 tbsp of sesame seeds to sprinkle over

          In a large, warmed bowl, mix the two flours with the yeast and sugar.  Make a small well in the middle and pour in the yogurt/olive oil mixture and enough water to make soft dough. Add more water if needed and knead vigorously for 8-10 minutes until the dough becomes elastic, but remains soft. 
  
          Place the dough into a large, warmed  bowl, cover with cling film, tea-towels and let it rise, free from drafts, until doubled in bulk, about 1½ hours.  Knead well again, and place in a round, oiled baking tin, cover with cling film and tea towels, and let it prove, until doubled in bulk, for about half an hour. Then brush it with a little orange juice or water and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

       Bake the bread in a hot oven, preheated to 220 C (418 F), for about 15 minutes, then lower the heat to 190 C (375 F) and bake for 30-35 minutes more, until it turns crisp and golden.

    

        





   



                                    


                    

        

      



         

No comments:

Post a Comment